If you could take a pill that helped you loose weight, improve your mental well-being, give you an energy boost, help fight cancer, reduce the signs of ageing, help your skin, digestion and heart health, would you take it? Of course you damn well would! So why not try acai? A tiny, purple little superfood that could help improve all of these things. It’s a no brainer really!
I am sure there are many different ways to make an acai bowl, and the beauty of it is that you can just change it up depending on your taste or mood. There are a couple of different types of acai I’ve found that you can use to make your bowl, the first is frozen pulp, which come in a block. If you are using this then you will only need to use half a banana and half the amount of the other ingredients instead. I personally use acai powder because it is cheaper and easier to buy than the frozen packs of acai.
That’s whats so great about this little purple bowl, you can just throw things in a blender until it looks like however you want it to look! Personally I prefer mine with a bit more of a soft-serve ice-cream kind of texture, as opposed to the sloppy, melty texture of the smoothie bowl. If I’m being honest I could exist on ice-cream alone, so anything I can make that resembles ice-cream I will make, dammit!
Then you can go mad with toppings, like seriously go wild, I add pretty much everything I have in my cupboards. I added a little coconut swirl as I was going for a vaguely tropical themed bowl to bring a bit of summer to freezing cold Bristol. It is so good I promise you won’t even know it is dairy-free, it’s so thick and creamy and it has coconut in it, and that makes everything infinitely better because coconut is just the most miraculous creation to grace this planet. It’s probably stretching the truth to call it coconut yoghurt really, because it just plain isn’t. Making your own yoghurt involves fermentation and gelling agents and a lot of time and effort that I was just not down for! I like stuff that’s super quick and easy to prepare because I don’t ever plan what I am going to eat beforehand, I just kind of look at what I have and throw everything in a blender. But I digress, this is more of a coconut cream
- • 2 ripe, frozen bananas
- • 1 cup (5-6) large frozen strawberries
- • 1 cup raspberries
- • 1 cup blueberries
- • 1-2tbsp acai powder (or amount shown on your packet)
- • 1-2tbsp nut butter
- • 60ml nut milk
- • 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- • 0.5 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- • 0.5-1 tsp probiotic powder/ 1 probiotic capsule (empty contents of capsule)
- • 1-2 tsp desiccated coconut
- • Tiny pinch of sea salt/Himalayan salt
- • 1 tablespoon maple syrup/agave/coconut nectar
- Pulse the banana until it has broken up into small pieces.
- Add the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and pulse again until they are roughly combined with the banana.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend on high until you have a smooth consistency like sorbet.
- Stick your can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. In the morning scoop out the creamy white coconut cream at the top of the can.
- Whack everything in the blender, and blend. You may need to add a splash of coconut milk if you want a slightly more liquid consistency.
- This stuff tastes great swirled into a strawberry and banana smoothie, poured over nice-cream, or just served alone with berries.
Let me know what you guys like best in your acai bowls, I love discovering new combinations of flavours and new toppings to try!