Mint chocolate chip was always my favourite flavour of ice cream as a child, quite possibly because my grandma always used to make the most gloriously bright green, peppermint flavoured ice cream, packed full of chocolate chunks. This raw mint chocolate chip banana ice cream is perfect for capturing some of that childhood nostalgia, and instead of using artificial colours to give this ice cream its vibrant colour, I use spinach instead. This gives this ice cream plenty of extra vitamins and nutrients, and as spinach is a very mild-tasting leafy green, it doesn’t alter the taste of the ice cream at all, which makes it a great way to sneak greenery into unsuspecting children’s meals.
I never struggle to get my five potions of fruit and vegetables in a day, but I have been making a conscious effort recently to include more leafy greens in my diet. Green leafy vegetables are also packed with B-vitamins such as folate, which help to promote a healthy heart. The other amazing benefit of folate is that it is also crucial for promoting DNA duplication, and helping to repair DNA after it has been damaged, which means consumption of leafy greens could arguably have a role to play in the prevention of some types of cancers. In addition to all these amazing nutrients, these veggies are also great sources of iron, which can be sorely lacking in a vegan diet.
Banana ice cream, or ‘nicecream’, as it is also known, is the quickest, easiest, and healthiest ice cream to make, and it is also really easy to customise it to your own taste; I decided to use fresh mint leaves to get as many healthy ingredients into this recipe as possible, but you could also substitute this for peppermint essence instead. If you struggle to find dairy-free chocolate chips (I personally use Plamil dairy-free chocolate drops), feel free to swap these for some delicious cacao nibs instead. Avocado is also a great addition to this recipe, as it adds to the vibrant green colour, but it also helps to make this ice cream even smoother and creamier.
If you are craving something sweet and refreshing this summer, then this guilt-free ice cream is for you! I absolutely love seeing people’s recreations of my recipe, so be sure to let me know in the comment, or tag me on Instagram @rawberryfields if you have a go at making this!
- 4 frozen bananas
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 6 large mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free dark chocolate chips OR cacao nibs
- OPTIONAL: Half an avocado
- Cut bananas into coins and place them in the freezer overnight in an air tight freezer bag or box.
- Place bananas into a blender or food processor and pulse until the bananas is broken up into tiny pieces.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender, and push the mixture down towards the blades to help make blending easier.
- Keep doing this until the banana mixture starts to resemble ice cream texture.
- Add the spinach and mint leaves, (and avocado if using) and blend or process until it turns into ice-cream, it should have the texture and consistency of soft-serve ice-cream!
- Stir in the chocolate chips (or cacao nibs if using) and serve immediately.