Hey strangers, long time no see! So sorry for being so absent recently, I’ve been swanning off around Malaysia (or more specifically a little slice of paradise off the coast called Langkawi), lying on the beach drinking cocktails for the past few weeks (such a tough life I lead!), so have been rather MIA!
Langkawi quite honestly the most beautiful place I have ever been too, with perfect, warm turquoise seas, white sandy beaches, and the wildlife was just crazy! I’ve never seen so many lizards and monkeys in my whole life, and they were so friendly and cheeky too! There was a big monitor lizard that came ambling down to the pool in the middle of the day to cool off in the water, and a team of monkeys who knew exactly what time to turn up at our room in the evening to raid our fruit bowl!
So please excuse this somewhat erratic post, I’m now over the jet-lag, but I’ve got a serious case of the post holiday blues (if you’ve ever been to Langkawi, you will understand why!) to deal with now, and I’m trying to get back into the swing of blogging again!
Whilst I was away, I became obsessed with fresh coconuts, or more specifically the sweet, juicy flesh inside them, which makes the creamiest, dreamiest smoothies, ice-creams and cheesecakes you can imagine.
In the UK we only really get the old, dry, brown coconuts, which are tasty, but they’re just not in the same league of deliciousness at all, but in Malaysia, there are fresh coconuts everywhere you look! In fact, Nick got a bit fed up of me screeching ‘Look at all those coconuts on that tree!’ every time I saw a coconut tree heaving with fresh coconuts, but it’s just so exciting to see your favourite food just doing it’s thing, growing in nature and being all awesome and stuff! I just wish I could have filled my suitcase with them when I came home!
However, I have recently made an awesome discovery, which is just about going to change my life! For I have discovered that the good folks over at Coco Face sell frozen packs of delicious coconut flesh, and it’s really, really good! Plus you don’t have to faff around trying to open the coconut and scrape the flesh out of the inside, which is great if you’re as lazy as myself! So just excuse me whilst I spend the next few weeks in coconut ice-cream heaven..!
The smell and taste of coconut always transports me to a sunnier place, so I thought what could be a better way to beat the post-holiday blues, and celebrate finding delicious coconut flesh in the UK, than by whipping up a seriously coconutty smoothie?
This Bounty smoothie is so damn good, it’s (almost!) worth coming home to my beloved blender for! It’s so sweet, wickedly creamy and fresh all at the same time, and will give you a serious energy boost! My colleague at work recently spent the day at VegFest in Brighton to promote our new vegan food magazine, and when she started wilting half-way through the day, she grabbed herself a coconut from Coco Face and was so hyperactive and bursting with energy for the rest of the day, that our boss thought she had taken something a lot stronger than a coconut to give herself a boost!
You should know by now, that besides my coconut addiction, I also can’t go a day without some raw chocolate, so of course I had to add some (okay, a lot of!) choc to this smoothie to make it reminiscent of a Bounty bar! The richness of the chocolate works so well with the fresh coconut, and makes for an extra decadent smoothie, but feel free to leave it out if you wish (although, who could resist adding a bit of chocolate?!). To decorate my smoothie, I used Loving Earth’s ‘Creamy’ chocolate, which you can now buy in the UK- yay!
This is hands down my favourite smoothie of all time (although my mango, pineapple and lychee smoothie comes in a close second!), so I hope you enjoy it too!
- 500g coconut flesh(the soft flesh from inside a fresh coconut)
- 700ml coconut milk (from a carton)
- 2 Tbsp coconut syrup(OR maple syrup)
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 Tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 heaped Tbsp cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut syrup (OR maple syrup)
- OPTIONAL: 3-4 squares of Loving Earth 'Creamy' raw chocolate (melted)
- Place all of the ingredients except the desiccated coconut in a high speed blender (I use a Vitamix S30) and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more milk if necessary.
- Add the desiccated coconut and pulse quickly to combine, being careful not to over blend.
- Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to until you have a silky, smooth chocolate sauce. It should be nice and thick, but slightly runnier than melted chocolate. You can add more powder or coconut syrup (I use Coconut Merchant's syrup) as needed.
- Add a couple of tsp's of the chocolate sauce to the bottom of the glass, and pour the smoothie over the top until you have filled the glass a third of the way. Use a spoon or a long cocktail stick to swirl the chocolate sauce.
- Repeat the process until the glass is full.
- Decorate with raw chocolate sauce, desiccated coconut and a couple of cheeky squares of raw chocolate for a truly decadent smoothie.
If you want to know more about the ingredients used in this recipe, check out my ‘Raw Pantry’ page!